- 1 First Venceremos Brigade
- 2 Hyde Park-Kenwood Voices
- 3 Venceremos
- 4 Line of March
- 5 Frontline staffer
- 6 Frontline contributor
- 7 CoC National Conference endorser
- 8 Socialist Scholars Conference
- 9 Greetings to Committees of Correspondence conference
- 10 Institute for Social and Economic Studies/CrossRoads
- 11 "Viewpoints on Socialism"
- 12 Communist "Manifestivity"
- 13 Open Letter to Obama on Iran
- 14 Mapping Socialist Strategies
- 15 Left Forum 2015
- 16 People for Bernie
- 17 Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing
- 18 Left Labor Project Presents: What Happened? What Now?
- 19 Democratic Socialists of America Unity
- 20 Historical Materialism conference
- 21 References
Ethan Jeremy Young is the son of Quentin Young and Ruth Young. He is a writer/editor in Brooklyn, a member of Democratic Socialists of America, Left Labor Project and People for Bernie, and a moderator for Portside.org.
First Venceremos Brigade
Hyde Park-Kenwood Voices
In January 1969, the Chicago radical newspaper, Hyde Park-Kenwood Voices, listed those who had helped produce its first 16 monthly issues as "writers, researchers, photographers, artists and clerical workers".
The list included Ethan Young.
In 1970 Ethan Young traveled to Cuba with the Venceremos Brigade.
- "Essentially what I see myself working for is socialism in the United States...Exactly how it will emerge, I'm still not sure...but that's what I'll be working for".
Line of March
CoC National Conference endorser
In 1992 Ethan Young, Cuba Update, New York endorsed the Committees of Correspondence national conference Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19.
Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s
The Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s was the Committees of Correspondence's first national conference held in Berkeley, California July 17-19, 1992.
Workshops that were held at the conference on Saturday, July 18 included:
Left Unity Getting it together: How should broad left unity be built? Speaking freely of differences and defining the basis for united action
- Peter Camejo, CrossRoads Advisory Council, Oakland
- Gil Green, author, NY
- Vivian Stromberg, exec. director, MADRE, NY
- Pat Harris, VP, Local 1199, NY
- Kendra Alexander, CA CoC
- Judith Pasternak, managing editor, National Guardian, NY
- Carla Wallace, steering committee, Kentucky Rainbow Coalition, Louisville
- Ethan Young, Cuba Update, NY
- Ron Johnson, housing activist, San Jose
Socialist Scholars Conference
Ethan Young, CrossRoads; Gil Green, Committees of Correspondence; David McReynolds, Socialist Party USA; Barbara Ehrenreich, Democratic Socialists of America and Paul Robeson Jr. were speakers on the Democracy in the Left panel sponsored by Socialist Dialogue at the Tenth Annual Socialist Scholars Conference. The conference was held April 24-26, 1992 at the Borough of Manhattan Community College, New York City.
Greetings to Committees of Correspondence conference
Institute for Social and Economic Studies/CrossRoads
In the mid 1990s Ethan Young served on the Board of Directors Oakland based Institute for Social and Economic Studies - sponsor of CrossRoads magazine, which sought to promote dialogue and building new alliances among progressives and leftists... and to bring diverse Marxist and socialist traditions to bear while exploring new strategies and directions for the progressive political movements.
"Viewpoints on Socialism"
4/22 1997 - Viewpoints on Socialism Series: "Reform and Revolution? Reform or Revolution?" w/David McReynolds (Socialist Party USA), Rebecca Minnich (Freedom Road Socialist Organization), Jay Schaffner (Committees of Correspondence), Ethan Young (Monthly Review Press), moderated by Pat Fry (CoC). At Brecht Forum, 122 W 27th. St. 
Individual endorsers of the event included Ethan Young.
The Manifesto Commemoration Committee included Eric Canepa, coordinator; Sam Anderson, Sylvia Aron, Steve Brier, Mary Boger , Kira Brunner, Andrew Comer, Peggy Crane, Steve Duncombe, Peter Filardo, Rosa Garcia, Dan Georgakas, Joan Greenbaum, Ron Hayduk, Bill Henning, Diane Greene Lent, Danny Luce, Bill Koehnlein, Biju Mathew, Eli Messinger , Liz Mestres, Yusuf Nuruddin, Adele Oltman, Ed Ott, Leo Panitch, Renee Pendergrass, Merle Ratner, Colin Robinson, Rosina Rodriguez, Frank Rosengarten, Rob Saute, S Shankar, Sean Sweeney, Kit Wainer, Paul Washington, Juanita Webster, Ethan Young.
Open Letter to Obama on Iran
In 2008 Ethan Young of Brooklyn, NY signed an online petition “A Open Letter to Barack Obama on Iran”.
Mapping Socialist Strategies
Mapping Socialist Strategies was convened from August 1-4 in Briarcliff Manor, NY, by the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung—New York Office. It brang together 100 influential progressives and leftists from across the United States, Canada, and Europe for an “un-conference” on socialist strategies.
Attendees included Ethan Young.
Left Forum 2015
Transforming Community and Labor Organizing into Electoral Victory at the Left Forum, 5/30/15, was a panel sponsored by Committees of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism, at Left Forum 2015.
Participants were NYC Councilmember Rosie Mendez, Andrea Miller of People Demanding Action, Ethan Young of Portside and Left Labor Project, Paul Krehbiel of CCDS in Los Angeles and trade union activist, and Pat Fry, CCDS Co-Chair.
Ethan Young, Portside moderator, journalist and member of the Left Labor Project, talked about lessons of the Jesus “Chuy” Garcia campaign for mayor of Chicago in April, a campaign that stunned the political establishment with a near-win against theneo-liberal Democrat Rahm Emanuel. The Chicago Teachers Union and a coalition of labor, community, African Americans and Latinos were the base of the campaign that began late and with meager finances.
Though Garcia did not win, said Young, he garnered a significant 45% of the vote. Important also were the election of 7 new City Council members supported by labor and community forces which has strengthened the Progressive Reform Caucus in opposition to Emanuel’s Democratic Party machine. “They won in working class neighborhoods running against the strongest mayor that the city has ever seen,” said Young. He also acknowledged weaknesses in the Garcia campaign. “He was not as hard on neo-liberal policies and the police as he could have been and this played a role in his inability to shore up a big enough base to win,” said Young. Nevertheless, Chicago politics have been significantly impacted with an unprecedented challenge to the power of the neo-liberal Democratic Party machine in Chicago, he said.
People for Bernie
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing, was a nationwide conference call organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization, Sunday October 30, 2016.
- What's the nature of this right-wing threat? What has this election cycle changed about the political terrain we're fighting on? How do we need to prepare for whats coming after the election? Hear about these crucial questions from our panel of top political strategists, including Nelini Stamp, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Linda Burnham, and Sendolo Diaminah.
Those indicating they would attend, on Facebook included Ethan Young.
Left Labor Project Presents: What Happened? What Now?
Left Labor Project Presents: What Happened? What Now? Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 6 PM - 9 PM, 310 W 43rd St, New York.
A converastion with Bill Fletcher, Jr., international activist and co-author of Solidarity Divided: The crisis in organized labor and a new path toward social justice.
RSVPS included Ethan Young.
Democratic Socialists of America Unity
Historical Materialism conference
Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung - New York Office, May 21 2018;
Our panelists at Historical Materialism in Montreal this weekend (from left), Claus Thomasberger (HTW Berlin), Michael Brie (RLS Berlin), Kari Polanyi Levitt (McGill University), Maria Starzmann (RLS–NYC), Malin Kuth (intern, RLS–NYC), Harmony Goldberg (Grassroots Policy Project), Ethan Young (Left Labor Project), and Lorenz Gosta Beutin (MP, Die Linke).
- THE THEORY AND PRACTICE OF COMMUNISM IN 1972 (Venceremos Brigade) PART 2, hearings before the Committee on Internal Security 92nd Congress oct 16-19, 1972 pages 8132-8135
- Hyde Park-Kenwood Voices, January 16 1969, page 4
- Re: [Marxism Line of March from [Ethan Young]Date, Wed, 15 Sep 2010]
- Conference program
- Proceedings of the Committees of Correspondence Conference: Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the '90s booklet, printed by CoC in NY, Sept. 1992 (Price: $4)
- SSE Tenth Annual Conference Program, 1992
- CoC Second National Conference program, 1996, p 27
- Crossroads March 1996
- [CREED NY Calendar #95, 4/19/97]
- Mail Archive website: Communist Manifestivity Conference Schedule, Oct. 28, 1998
- Open Letter to Obama on Iran
- Youtube, Transforming Community and Labor Organizing into Electoral Victory at the Left Forum, 5/30/15 Published on Jun 8, 2015
- [ http://www.ccds-discussion.org/?p=5136, CCDS at the 2015 Left Forum Posted by admin on June 9, 2015]
- FB Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing Went 109