Dustin Guastella, was, in 2014, a Greater Philadelphia Democratic Socialists of America member, and involved the Drop Student Debt committee.
Guastella, graduated from Temple University in 2013, with a degree in sociology.
February 12-14, 2016, in New York. The Young Democratic Socialists conference, “Generation Left: Millennials Building the Next Socialist Movement,” will be held at the Mayday Community Space, 176 St. Nicholas Avenue, Brooklyn.
Fighting the Neoliberal University
- Dustin Guastella, Greater Philadelphia Democratic Socialists of America
- Mindy Isser, Fight for Fifteen and Service Employees International Union
- Jason Schulman, New York City Democratic Socialists of America/ or Adam Goldman
- Jared Abbott, Boston Democratic Socialists of America - Moderator
In 2016 Dustin Guastella was a member of Philly Democratic Socialists of America. He signed the Give The People What They Want: DSA Members on 2016 and Beyond letter.
DSA NPC candidate
In August 2017 Dustin Guastella stood for election to the Democratic Socialists of America National Political Committee, at the National Convention in Chicago, from Philadelphia Democratic Socialists of America.
- I’m Dustin Guastella, and I’m a member of Philadelphia DSA. I first joined DSA in 2011 and have been an active member in my Local and on national DSA committees ever since.
- I grew up the son of a hairdresser and an electrician in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Many of my childhood friends are trapped in long-term unemployment or dead-end low wage jobs. As a result I became interested in what could be done about this through politics and collective action. Growing up, I was lucky enough to have a teacher who encouraged me to go to college and there I found Philly DSA.
- The Occupy movement and the rapid growth of Jacobin magazine turned me from a passive observer to an active member of DSA and an advocate for a strong working class politics. After I graduated from Temple University I went to work in the labor movement as the regional coordinator for the Southeastern Pennsylvania Area Labor Federation (AFL-CIO). While there I learned the ins-and-outs of the union movement - its weaknesses and shortcomings as well as its enduring strengths.
- In the lead-up to the 2016 presidential campaign, I served as co-coordinator of DSA’s national We Need Bernie committee. More recently I have worked on building and consolidating Philly DSA as it works to retain and develop the huge numbers who have joined as part of the “Trump bump.” I’ve worked alongside Natalie Midiri, Liz Henderson, Jared Abbott and Joseph Schwartz in our Local for years, and with Jeremy Gong to build a national Medicare-for-All campaign for DSA.
- I am currently a Philly DSA Steering Committee member and a coordinator on DSA’s National Design Committee. I have recently become interested in investing more of my time into the national organization because of DSA’s rapid growth and the exciting political moment we find ourselves in.
Philadelphia DSA steering committee
The 2015/2017 Philadelphia Democratic Socialists of America At-Large Steering Committee members included Dustin Guastella.
DSA convention delegate
Medicare for All