Blue America PAC
The Blue America PAC was formed on August 24, 2006 to raise money to put "Have You Had Enough" on the radio in the form of 60 second advertising spots for various Blue America candidates, including advertising campaigns for Charlie Brown (CA-04), John Laesch (IL-14), Angie Paccione (CO-04), Victoria Wulsin (OH-02), Robert Rodriguez (CA-25) and Chris Murphy (CT-05) and a cable TV campaign for Tony Trupiano (MI-11).
Blue America's goal is "to replace the bipartisan Conservative Consensus in Congress with a strong and activated progressive movement..." Their Blue America PAC is "a collaboration between well-known progressive blogs DownWithTyranny.com, Hullabaloo.com, and CrooksandLiars.com."
In archived page with historical information, the Blue America PAC's history was described in more detail:
- "The Blue America PAC was founded in time for the 2006 midterm elections, in which a host of progressive candidates were elected, including candidates backed by Blue America, from John Hall (NY), Paul Hodes (NH), Joe Sestak (PA) and Bruce Braley (IA) to current senators Ben Cardin (MD), Amy Klobuchar (MN), Jon Tester (MT) and Kirsten Gillibrand (NY). Our top pick in 2006, Donna Edwards, was defeated but went on to win in 2008, and was reelected in 2010. Many of our candidates from 2006 and 2008 were defeated for reelection in the tsunami of 2010 when voters told Democrats to get their act together and differentiate themselves from Republicans by standing up for working families. The voters helped them along that path by defeating more than two dozen conservative Blue Dogs, over half of their aisle-crossing caucus. Unfortunately excellent Blue America-backed incumbents like Alan Grayson, Carol Shea-Porter, John Hall, Mark Schauer and Mary Jo Kilroy were swept up in the wave.
- "In this cycle we'll be using what we've learned since 2006 to help more progressives to overcome the massive financial advantage corporately backed conservatives always have over candidates who fight for ordinary families instead of special interests.
- "The beginning of the process is to help recruit solid progressives in a slew of races where Republicans narrowly managed to get into office in the midst of a national discontent that wasn't kind to Democratic incumbents. You'll be able to keep abreast of developments along these lines at the three blogs that work together to keep this PAC going, Crooks and Liars, Digby's Hullabaloo and DownWithTyranny.
- "Blue America doesn't work in safe districts where our help isn't needed. We look for tough races where a little encouragement, some financial help and some advice could go a long way, especially with candidates unlikely to get much help from the DCCC or the DSCC."
Pushing the Democrats to the Left
On a page featuring their endorsements, Blue America reveals their goal of pushing the democrat party further to the left, and gives examples of people they "helped elect in 2016":
- "The Republicans hold the White House and the Senate at least until 2020. The only way to put a check on right-wing control of the federal government is by taking back the Peoples' House. While the Democratic Party establishment tries electing more Blue Dogs and New Dems from the Republican wing of the Democratic Party, Blue America will continue trying to elect independent-minded progressives to join the ones we helped elect in 2016, like Pramila Jayapal, Jamie Raskin, Nanette Barragan, and Carol Shea-Porter.
Candidates listed as of January 9 2018 (See Blue America for previous years):
- Doug Applegate (CA-49)
- Randy Bryce (WI-01)
- Dan Canon (IN-09)
- Tim Canova (FL-23)
- Paul Clements (MI-06)
- Derrick Crowe (TX-21)
- Austin Frerick (IA-03)
- Jesus "Chuy" Garcia (IL-04)
- David Gill (IL-13)
- Jared Golden (ME-02)
- Tom Guild (OK-05)
- Katie Hill (CA-25)
- Kaniela Ing (HI-01)
- Sam Jammal (CA-39)
- Jess King (PA-16)
- Jenny Marshall (NC-05)
- Marie Newman (IL-03)
- Lillian Salerno (TX-32)
- Antoinette Sedillo Lopez (NM-01)
- James Thompson (KS-04)
- Jason Westin (TX-07)