The Bilderberg Group, Bilderberg conference or Bilderberg Club is an annual, unofficial, invitation-only conference of around 120 guests, most of whom are people of influence in the fields of politics, banking, business, the military and media. The names of attendees are made available to the press. The conferences are closed to the public and the media and no press releases are issued.
From the Bilderberg Group Meetings Site:
Bilderberg takes its name from the hotel in Holland, where the first meeting took place in May 1954. That pioneering meeting grew out of the concern expressed by leading citizens on both sides of the Atlantic that Western Europe and North America were not working together as closely as they should on common problems of critical importance. It was felt that regular, off-the-record discussions would help create a better understanding of the complex forces and major trends affecting Western nations in the difficult postwar period.
The Cold War has now ended. But in practically all respects there are more, not fewer, common problems - from trade to jobs, from monetary policy to investment, from ecological challenges to the task of promoting international security. It is hard to think of any major issue in either Europe or North America whose unilateral solution would not have repercussions for the other.
Thus the concept of a European-American forum has not been overtaken by time. The dialogue between these two regions is still - even increasingly - critical.
Character of Meetings
What is unique about Bilderberg as a forum is:
- the broad cross-section of leading citizens that are assembled for nearly three days of informal and off-the-record discussion about topics of current concern especially in the fields of foreign affairs and the international economy;
- the strong feeling among participants that in view of the differing attitudes and experiences of the Western nations, there remains a clear need to further develop an understanding in which these concerns can be accommodated;
- the privacy of the meetings, which has no purpose other than to allow participants to speak their minds openly and freely.
In short, Bilderberg is a small, flexible, informal and off-the-record international forum in which different viewpoints can be expressed and mutual understanding enhanced. Bilderberg's only activity is its annual Conference. At the meetings, no resolutions are proposed, no votes taken and no policy statements issued. Since 1954, fifty-seven conferences have been held. For each meeting, the names of the participants as well as the agenda are made Public and available to the press.
Invitations to Bilderberg conferences are extended by the Chairman following consultation with the Steering Committee members. Participants are chosen for their experience, their knowledge, their standing and their contribution to the selected agenda. There usually are about 120 participants of whom about two-thirds come from Europe and the balance from North America. About one-third are from government and politics, and two-thirds from finance, industry, labor, education, communications. Participants attend Bilderberg in a private and not an official capacity.
- BEL - Honorary Chairman - Etienne Davignon, Vice Chairman, Suez-Tractebel
- DEU - Josef Ackermann - Chairman of the Management Board and the Group Executive Committee, Deutsche Bank AG
- GBR - Marcus Agius, Chairman, Barclays Bank PLC
- ESP - César Alierta, Chairman and CEO, Telefónica
- INT - Joaquín Almunia, Commissioner, European Commission
- USA - Roger Altman, Chairman, Evercore Partners Inc.
- USA - Sonia Arrison, Author and Policy Analyst
- SWE - Urban Bäckström, Director General, Confederation of Swedish Enterprise
- PRT - Francisco Pinto Balsemão, Chairman and CEO, IMPRESA, S.G.P.S.; Former Prime Minister
- ITA - Franco Bernabè, CEO, Telecom Italia S.p.A.
- SWE - Carl Bildt, Minister of Foreign Affairs
- FIN - Antti Blåfield, Senior Editorial Writer, Helsingin Sanomat
- ESP - Ana Botín, Executive Chairman, Banesto
- NOR - Svein Richard Brandtzæg, CEO, Norsk Hydro ASA
- AUT - Oscar Bronner, Publisher and Editor, Der Standard
- TUR - Ruşen Çakir, Journalist
- CAN - Gordon Campbell, Premier of British Columbia
- ESP - Jaime Carvajal Urquijo, Managing Director, Advent International
- FRA - Henri de Castries, Chairman of the Management Board and CEO, AXA
- ESP - Juan Luis Cebrián, CEO, PRISA
- ESP - Gustavo Cisneros, Chairman and CEO, Cisneros Group of Companies
- CAN - W. Edmund Clark, President and CEO, TD Bank Financial Group
- USA - Timothy Collins, Senior Managing Director and CEO, Ripplewood Holdings, LLC
- ITA - Fulvio Conti, CEO and General Manager, Enel SpA
- GRC - George David, Chairman, Coca-Cola H.B.C. S.A.
- DNK - Anders Eldrup, CEO, DONG Energy
- ITA - John Elkann, Chairman, Fiat S.p.A.
- DEU - Thomas Enders, CEO, Airbus SAS
- ESP - José Entrecanales, Chairman, Acciona
- DNK - Ulrik Federspiel, Vice President Global Affairs, Haldor Topsøe A/S
- USA - Martin Feldstein, George F. Baker Professor of Economics, Harvard University
- USA - Niall Ferguson, Laurence A. Tisch Professor of History, Harvard University
- AUT - Heinz Fischer, Federal President
- IRL - Paul Gallagher, Attorney General
- USA - William Gates, Co-chair, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and Chairman, Microsoft Corporation
- USA - Philip Gordon, Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs
- USA - Donald Graham, Chairman and CEO, The Washington Post Company
- INT - Karel de Gucht, Commissioner, European Commission
- TUR - Z. Damla Gürel, Special Adviser to the President on EU Affairs
- NLD - Victor Halberstadt, Professor of Economics, Leiden University; Former Honorary Secretary General of Bilderberg Meetings
- USA - Richard Holbrooke, Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan
- NLD - Jan Hommen, Chairman, ING Group
- USA - Robert Hormats, Under Secretary for Economic, Energy and Agricultural Affairs
- BEL - Jan Huyghebaert, Chairman of the Board of Directors, KBC Group
- USA - James Johnson, Vice Chairman, Perseus, LLC
- FIN - Jyrki Katainen, Minister of Finance
- USA - John M. Keane, Senior Partner, SCP Partners
- GBR - John Kerr, Member, House of Lords; Deputy Chairman, Royal Dutch Shell plc.
- USA - Henry Kissinger, Chairman, Kissinger Associates, Inc.
- USA - Klaus Kleinfeld, Chairman and CEO, Alcoa
- TUR - Mustafa Koç, Chairman, Koç Holding A.Ş.
- USA - Henry Kravis, Founding Partner, Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co.
- USA - Marie-Josée Kravis, Senior Fellow, Hudson Institute, Inc.
- INT - Neelie Kroes, Commissioner, European Commission
- USA - Eric Lander, President and Director, Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT
- FRA - Anne Lauvergeon, Chairman of the Executive Board, AREVA
- ESP - Bernardino León Gross, Secretary General, Office of the Prime Minister
- DEU - Peter Löscher, Chairman of the Board of Management, Siemens AG
- NOR - Birger Magnus, Chairman, Storebrand ASA
- CAN - Peter Mansbridge, Chief Correspondent, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
- USA - Jessica Mathews, President, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- CAN - Frank McKenna, Deputy Chair, TD Bank Financial Group
- GBR - John Micklethwait, Editor-in-Chief, The Economist
- FRA - Thierry de Montbrial, President, French Institute for International Relations
- ITA - Mario Monti, President, Universita Commerciale Luigi Bocconi
- INT - Dambisa Moyo, Economist and Author
- USA - Craig Mundie, Chief Research and Strategy Officer, Microsoft Corporation
- NOR - Egil Myklebust, Former Chairman of the Board of Directors SAS, Norsk Hydro ASA
- USA - Moisés Naím, Editor-in-Chief, Foreign Policy
- NLD - H.M. the Queen of the Netherlands
- ESP - Juan María Nin Génova, President and CEO, La Caixa
- DNK - Poul Nyrup Rasmussen, Former Prime Minister
- GBR - John Oldham, National Clinical Lead for Quality and Productivity
- FIN - Jorma Ollila, Chairman, Royal Dutch Shell plc
- USA - Peter Orszag, Director, Office of Management and Budget
- TUR - Tuncay Ozilhan, Chairman, Anadolu Group
- ITA - Tommaso Padoa-Schioppa, Former Minister of Finance; President of Notre Europe
- GRC - George Papaconstantinou, Minister of Finance
- USA - Sean Parker, Managing Partner, Founders Fund
- USA - Frank Pearl, Chairman and CEO, Perseus, LLC
- USA - Richard Perle, Resident Fellow, American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research
- ESP - Ignacio Polanco, Chairman, Grupo PRISA
- CAN - J. Robert Prichard, President and CEO, Metrolinx
- FRA - Bernard Ramanantsoa, Dean, HEC Paris Group
- PRT - Paulo Rangel, Member, European Parliament
- CAN - Heather Reisman, Chair and CEO, Indigo Books & Music Inc.
- SWE - Lars Renström, President and CEO, Alfa Laval
- NLD - Alexander Rinnooy Kan, Chairman, Social and Economic Council of the Netherlands (SER)
- ITA - Gianfelice Rocca, Chairman, Techint
- ESP - Matías Rodriguez Inciarte, Executive Vice Chairman, Grupo Santander
- USA - Charlie Rose, Producer, Rose Communications
- USA - Robert Rubin, Co-Chairman, Council on Foreign Relations; Former Secretary of the Treasury
- TUR - Suzan Sabanci Dinçer, Chairman, Akbank
- ITA - Paolo Scaroni, CEO, Eni S.p.A.
- USA - Eric Schmidt, CEO and Chairman of the Board, Google
- AUT - Rudolf Scholten, Member of the Board of Executive Directors, Oesterreichische Kontrollbank AG
- DEU - Olaf Scholz, Vice Chairman, SPD
- INT - Josette Sheeran, Executive Director, United Nations World Food Programme
- INT - Javier Solana Madariaga, Former Secretary General, Council of the European Union
- ESP - H.M. the Queen of Spain
- USA - James Steinberg, Deputy Secretary of State
- INT - Björn Stigson, President, World Business Council for Sustainable Development
- USA - Larry Summers, Director, National Economic Council
- IRL - Peter Sutherland, Chairman, Goldman Sachs International
- GBR - J. Martin Taylor, Chairman, Syngenta International AG
- PRT - Fernando Teixeira dos Santos, Minister of State and Finance
- USA - Peter Thiel, President, Clarium Capital Management, LLC
- GRC - Loukas Tsoukalis, President, ELIAMEP
- INT - Gertrude Tumpel-Gugerell, Member of the Executive Board, European Central Bank
- USA - Christine Varney, Assistant Attorney General for Antitrust
- CHE - Daniel Vasella, Chairman, Novartis AG
- USA - Paul Volcker, Chairman, Economic Recovery Advisory Board
- CHE - Peter Voser, CEO, Royal Dutch Shell plc
- FIN - Björn Wahlroos, Chairman, Sampo plc
- CHE - Francis Waldvogel, Chairman, Novartis Venture Fund
- SWE - Jacob Wallenberg, Chairman, Investor AB
- NLD - Nout Wellink, President, De Nederlandsche Bank
- USA - F.J. Bing West, Author
- GBR - Shirley Williams, Member, House of Lords
- USA - James Wolfensohn, Chairman, Wolfensohn & Company, LLC
- ESP - José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero, Prime Minister
- DEU - Dieter Zetsche, Chairman, Daimler AG
- INT - Robert Zoellick, President, The World Bank Group
- GBR - Vendeline von Bredow, Business Correspondent, The Economist
- GBR - Adrian D. Wooldridge, Business Correspondent, The Economist
The full official list of 2011 Bilderberg attendees:
- Luc Coene, Governor, National Bank of Belgium
- Etienne Davignon, Minister of State
- Thomas Leysen, Chairman, Umicore
- Ying Fu, Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Yiping Huang, Professor of Economics, China Center for Economic Research, Peking University
- Anders Eldrup, CEO, DONG Energy
- Ulrik Federspiel, Vice President, Global Affairs, Haldor Topsøe A/S
- Peter Schütze, Member of the Executive Management, Nordea Bank AB
- Josef Ackermann, Chairman of the Management Board and the Group Executive Committee, Deutsche Bank
- Thomas Enders, CEO, Airbus SAS
- Peter Löscher, President and CEO, Siemens AG
- Matthias Nass, Chief International Correspondent, Die Zeit
- Peer Steinbrück, Member of the Bundestag; Former Minister of Finance
- Matti Apunen, Director, Finnish Business and Policy Forum EVA
- Ole Johansson, Chairman, Confederation of the Finnish Industries EK
- Jorma Ollila, Chairman, Royal Dutch Shell
- Mikael Pentikäinen, Publisher and Senior Editor-in-Chief, Helsingin Sanomat
- Nicolas Baverez, Partner, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Nicolas Bazire, Managing Director, Groupe Arnault/LVMH
- Henri de Castries, Chairman and CEO, AXA
- Maurice Lévy, Chairman and CEO, Publicis Groupe S.A.
- Thierry de Montbrial, President, French Institute for International Relations
- Olivier Roy, Professor of Social and Political Theory, European University Institute
- Marcus Agius, Chairman, Barclays PLC
- Douglas Flint, Group Chairman, HSBC Holdings
- John Kerr, Member, House of Lords; Deputy Chairman, Royal Dutch Shell
- Richard Lambert, Independent Non-Executive Director, Ernst & Young
- Peter Mandelson, Member, House of Lords; Chairman, Global Counsel
- John Micklethwait, Editor-in-Chief, The Economist
- George Osborne, Chancellor of the Exchequer
- Rory Stewart, Member of Parliament
- J. Martin Taylor, Chairman, Syngenta International AG
- George David, Chairman, Coca-Cola H.B.C. S.A.
- Gikas Hardouvelis, Chief Economist and Head of Research, Eurobank EFG
- George Papaconstantinou, Minister of Finance
- Loukas Tsoukalis, President, ELIAMEP Grisons
- Joaquín Almunia, Vice President, European Commission
- Frans van Daele, Chief of Staff to the President of the European Council
- Neelie Kroes, Vice President, European Commission; Commissioner for Digital Agenda
- Pascal Lamy, Director General, World Trade Organization
- Herman van Rompuy, President, European Council
- Josette Sheeran, Executive Director, United Nations World Food Programme
- Javier Solana Madariaga, President, ESADEgeo Center for Global Economy and Geopolitics
- Jean-Claude Trichet, President, European Central Bank
- Robert Zoellick, President, The World Bank Group
- Paul Gallagher, Senior Counsel; Former Attorney General
- Michael McDowell, Senior Counsel, Law Library; Former Deputy Prime Minister
- Peter Sutherland, Chairman, Goldman Sachs International
- Franco Bernabè, CEO, Telecom Italia SpA
- John Elkann, Chairman, Fiat S.p.A.
- Mario Monti, President, Univers Commerciale Luigi Bocconi
- Paolo Scaroni, CEO, Eni S.p.A.
- Giulio Tremonti, Minister of Economy and Finance
- Mark Carney, Governor, Bank of Canada
- Edmund Clark, President and CEO, TD Bank Financial Group
- Frank McKenna, Deputy Chair, TD Bank Financial Group
- James Orbinksi, Professor of Medicine and Political Science, University of Toronto
- J. Robert Prichard, Chair, Torys LLP
- Heather Reisman, Chair and CEO, Indigo Books & Music Inc. Center, Brookings Institution
- Marc Bolland, Chief Executive, Marks and Spencer Group plc
- Marc Chavannes, Political Columnist, NRC Handelsblad; Professor of Journalism
- Victor Halberstadt, Professor of Economics, Leiden University; Former Honorary Secretary General of Bilderberg Meetings
- H.M. the Queen of the Netherlands
- Uri Rosenthal, Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Jaap Winter, Partner, De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek
- Egil Myklebust, Former Chairman of the Board of Directors SAS, sk Hydro ASA
- H.R.H. Crown Prince Haakon of Norway
- Ole Petter Ottersen, Rector, University of Oslo
- Erna Solberg, Leader of the Conservative Party
- Oscar Bronner, CEO and Publisher, Standard Medien AG
- Werner Faymann, Federal Chancellor
- Walter Rothensteiner, Chairman of the Board, Raiffeisen Zentralbank Österreich AG
- Rudolf Scholten, Member of the Board of Executive Directors, Oesterreichische Kontrollbank AG
- Francisco Pinto Balsemão, Chairman and CEO, IMPRESA, S.G.P.S.; Former Prime Minister
- Clara Ferreira Alves, CEO, Claref LDA; writer
- António Nogueira Leite, Member of the Board, José de Mello Investimentos, SGPS, SA
- Alexey Mordashov, CEO, Severstal
- Carl Bildt, Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Ewa Björling, Minister for Trade
- Jacob Wallenberg, Chairman, Investor AB
- Peter Brabeck-Letmathe, Chairman, Nestlé S.A.
- Hans Groth, Senior Director, Healthcare Policy & Market Access, Oncology Business Unit, Pfizer Europe
- Barbara Janom Steiner, Head of the Department of Justice, Security and Health, Canton
- André Kudelski, Chairman and CEO, Kudelski Group SA
- Doris Leuthard, Federal Councillor
- Martin Schmid, President, Government of the Canton Grisons
- Rolf Schweiger, Ständerat
- Rolf Soiron, Chairman of the Board, Holcim Ltd., Lonza Ltd.
- Daniel Vasella, Chairman, Novartis AG
- Jürg Witmer, Chairman, Givaudan SA and Clariant AG
- Juan Luis Cebrián, CEO, PRISA
- María Dolores de Cospedal, Secretary General, Partido Popular
- Bernardino León Gross, Secretary General of the Spanish Presidency
- Juan María Nin Génova, President and CEO, La Caixa
- H.M. Queen Sofia of Spain
- Süreyya Ciliv, CEO, Turkcell Iletisim Hizmetleri A.S.
- Tayyibe Gülek Domac, Former Minister of State
- Mustafa Koç, Chairman, Koç Holding A.S.
- Sefika Pekin, Founding Partner, Pekin & Bayar Law Firm
- Keith Alexander, Commander, USCYBERCOM; Director, National Security Agency
- Roger Altman, Chairman, Evercore Partners Inc.
- Jeff Bezos, Founder and CEO, Amazon.com
- Timothy Collins, CEO, Ripplewood Holdings, LLC
- Martin Feldstein, George F. Baker Professor of Economics, Harvard University
- Reid Hoffman, Co-founder and Executive Chairman, LinkedIn
- Chris Hughes, Co-founder, Facebook
- Kenneth Jacobs, Chairman & CEO, Lazard
- James Johnson, Vice Chairman, Perseus, LLC
- Vernon Jordan, Jr., Senior Managing Director, Lazard Frères & Co. LLC
- John Keane, Senior Partner, SCP Partners; General, US Army, Retired
- Henry Kissinger, Chairman, Kissinger Associates, Inc.
- Klaus Kleinfeld, Chairman and CEO, Alcoa
- Henry Kravis, Co-Chairman and Co-CEO, Kohlberg Kravis, Roberts & Co.
- Marie-Josée Kravis, Senior Fellow, Hudson Institute, Inc.
- Cheng Li, Senior Fellow and Director of Research, John L. Thornton China Center, Brookings Institution
- Craig Mundie, Chief Research and Strategy Officer, Microsoft Corporation
- Peter Orszag, Vice Chairman, Citigroup Global Markets, Inc.
- Richard Perle, Resident Fellow, American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research
- David Rockefeller, Former Chairman, Chase Manhattan Bank
- Charlie Rose, Executive Editor and Anchor, Charlie Rose
- Robert Rubin, Co-Chairman, Council on Foreign Relations; Former Secretary of the Treasury
- Eric Schmidt, Executive Chairman, Google Inc.
- James Steinberg, Deputy Secretary of State
- Peter Thiel, President, Clarium Capital Management, LLC
- Christine Varney, Assistant Attorney General for Antitrust
- James Vaupel, Founding Director, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research
- Kevin Warsh, Former Governor, Federal Reserve Board
- James Wolfensohn, Chairman, Wolfensohn & Company, LLC