Andrew Hammer is a socialist who specializes in creating websites for socialist organizations around the world.
DSA Youth Section
Socialist Scholars Conference
Andrew Hammer, Democratic Socialists of America; James Hughes, National Political Committee Member, Democratic Socialists of America; Sister Diane Drufenbrock, Vice-Chair, Socialist Party USA and Richard Schwartz were speakers on the Relating Different Religious Traditions to Socialism panel sponsored by DSA Religion and Socialism Commission at the Tenth Annual Socialist Scholars Conference. The conference was held April 24-26, 1992 at the Borough of Manhattan Community College, New York City.
International League of Religious Socialists meeting
The fifty representatives from fourteen countries who met August 1-4 1997, in Espoo, Finland, at the International League of Religious Socialists Congress were keenly interested when Dr. Harry Heino, former Prime Minister of Finland, described the work of the Interaction Council of former state and government heads under the chairmanship of Helmut Schmidt.
Judith Deutsch (a DSA member from Sudbury, MA) was the official delegate from the United States, which Andrew Hammer, Rod Ryon and Joan Stanne also represented. All were Democratic Socialists of America.
For the first were Muslims included. They came from Algeria, France, Great Britain, Italy, and Sweden. Only Christians, and Judy Deutsch, a Jewish Unitarian Universalist, had attended previous ILRS conferences.
Paavo Lipponen, then Prime Minister of Finland, gave an informative address on the future of the Nordic state, and Ahmed Al-Rawl, President of the Federation of Islamic Organizations in Europe disturbed some participants when it stressed the value of traditional families, in contrast to other life styles.
- This point highlighted the work that must be done to develop solidarity among people with differing approaches.
International League of Religious Socialists
Socialist Party USA
Religion & Socialism Commission
- Secretary: Maxine Phillips
- Treasurer: John Cort
- Executive Committee: Judith Deutsch, John Endler, Norm Faramelli, Mark Finkel, Andrew Hammer, Tharen Robson.
DSA’s Cuba Letter
Andrew Hammer signed an April 2003 Statement on Cuba, initiated and circulated by prominent Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) member Leo Casey, calling for the lifting of trade sanctions against Cuba.
- “a statement circulating among democratic left/socialist folks, largely by members of Democratic Socialists of America, condemning the recent trials and convictions of non-violent dissenters in Cuba”.
The petition criticized Cuba's poor human rights record, but shared the blame for Cuba's problems with reactionary elements of the U.S. administration...
- The democratic left worldwide has opposed the U.S. embargo on Cuba as counterproductive, more harmful to the interests of the Cuban people than helpful to political democratization. The Cuban state's current repression of political dissidents amounts to collaboration with the most reactionary elements of the U.S. administration in their efforts to maintain sanctions and to institute even more punitive measures against Cuba.
Many of the petition's 120 odd signatories were known members of DSA.
In 2002, Andrew Hammer was part of the DSA delegation to Mozambique.
US delegates to the Socialist International 13th Congress, Athens, Greece June 30th 2008 included Carol Browner, a delegation from Democratic Socialists of America; Frank Llewellyn, Corey Walker, George Roberts, David Duhalde and Alejandro Duhalde plus another DSA member Andrew Hammer attending with the International League of Religious Socialists, former New American Movement radical Jeremy Rifkin representing the Foundation on Economic Trends and Puerto Rican Independence Party, Ruben Berrios Martinez and Maria Jose Cisneros.
- Democratic Left, Sept./Oct. 1991, page 23
- SSE Tenth Annual Conference Program, 1992
- Dem. Left, issue #7 and 8, 1997, page 19
- Democratic Left, July/August 1991, page 8
- theyankee radical June 2002