- 1 CPC
- 2 Supported by Council for a Livable World
- 3 Calling on Israeli Govt. to lift Gaza Travel Ban
- 4 Supported Lifting the Gaza Blockade
- 5 Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus
- 6 Anti-Fracking legislation endorser
- 7 Congressional Letter for Neutrality, 2014 Salvadoran Elections
- 8 JStreet 2014 endorsement
- 9 ARA endorsement, 2012
- 10 ARA PAF endorsement, 2014
- 11 New Democrat Coalition, 113th Congress
- 12 80th anniversary of Social Security
- 13 Letter on US-Mexico security Co-operation
- 14 Praising CAIR
- 15 Committees
- 16 External links
- 17 References
Smith graduated from Fordham University in 1987 with a degree in Political Science and from the University Of Washington School Of Law in 1990.
In 1993, Adam married Sara Bickle-Eldridge, a graduate of the University of Washington and Seattle University School of Law. Their daughter, Kendall Charlotte, was born in July 2000, and their son, Jack Evers, was born in June 2003.
In December 2017 Adam Smith was a new member of the Congressional Progressive Caucus.
Supported by Council for a Livable World
The Council for a Livable World, founded in 1962 by long-time socialist activist and alleged Soviet agent, Leo Szilard, is a non-profit advocacy organization that seeks to "reduce the danger of nuclear weapons and increase national security", primarily through supporting progressive, congressional candidates who support their policies. The Council supported Brian Baird in his successful House of Representatives run as candidate for Washington.
Calling on Israeli Govt. to lift Gaza Travel Ban
On Dec. 22, 2009, thirty-three U.S. Representatives wrote to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, calling on her to request that the Israeli Government end the ban on student travel from Gaza to the West Bank. Adam Smith was one of the signatories of the letter. The entire letter together with a complete list of signatories can be read by clicking here.
Supported Lifting the Gaza Blockade
On Jan. 27, 2010, U.S. Representatives Keith Ellison and Jim McDermott led 52 other members of Congress in signing a letter addressed to President Barack Obama, calling for him to use diplomatic pressure to resolve the blockade affecting Gaza. Adam Smith was one of the signatories of the letter.  The entire letter together with a complete list of signatories can be read by clicking here.
Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus
Anti-Fracking legislation endorser
On March 14, 2013, Rep. Jared Polis (D-CO) and Rep. Matt Cartwright (D-PA) have introduced the Bringing Reductions to Energy’s Airborne Toxic Health Effect (BREATHE) Act, and the Focused Reduction of Effluence and Stormwater runoff through Hydraulic Environmental Regulation (FRESHER) Act, in order to ensure that the hydraulic fracking industry follows the same rules that other industries do in preserving our natural resources. This legislation is focused on ensuring the safety and the health of the communities where the hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, process is already taking place.
The BREATHE Act would ensure that we close the oil and gas industry’s loophole to the Clean Air Act’s aggregation provision, in addition to adding hydrogen sulfide—a chemical associated with nausea, vomiting, headaches, and irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat—to the Clean Air Act’s federal list of hazardous air pollutants.
The BREATHE Act has the following original co-sponsors including: Reps. Rush Holt, Jr., Raul Grijalva, John Sarbanes, James Moran, Michael Quigley, Earl Blumenauer, Gerry Connolly, Zoe Lofgren, Michael Honda, Paul Tonko, Barbara Lee, David Price, Carolyn Maloney, Michael Capuano, Mark Pocan, Jim McDermott, Eleanor Holmes Norton, Alcee Hastings, Keith Ellison, Niki Tsongas, William Keating, Adam Smith, Jim Langevin, Chellie Pingree, Judy Chu, Louise Slaughter, Jerrold Nadler, Grace Meng, Jan Schakowsky, Nita Lowey, Jared Huffman, Gary Peters and Alan Lowenthal.
The following organizations have endorsed this legislation and are actively working to garner support within Congress and throughout the country: Physicians for Social Responsibility, Natural Resources Defense Council, Earthjustice, Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments, Sierra Club, Earthworks, Breast Cancer Action, Clean Water Action, Environment America, Greenpeace, Nature Abounds, Oil Change International, Citizens for a Healthy Community, Citizens for Huerfano County, Clean Water Action Colorado, Erie Rising, Grassroots Energy Activist Network, Holy Terror Farm, San Luis Valley Ecosystem Council, SOS Foundation, Western Colorado Congress of Mesa County, Western Slope Conservation Center and Wilderness Workshop.
Congressional Letter for Neutrality, 2014 Salvadoran Elections
On Monday December 16, 2014 Reps. Juan Vargas (D-CA), Mike Honda (D-CA) and Mark Pocan (D-WI) sent a letter to Sec. of State John Kerry – signed by 51 Members of Congress – calling for a public statement of neutrality by the State Department before the first round of El Salvador’s presidential elections on February 2, 2014.
The letter, , highlighted several “important steps” that the current government has taken to “strengthen its democratic system and expand the right to vote to all citizens,” including those living outside of the country, who will be voting by absentee ballot for the first time in February. Since the election of Mauricio Funes, the first President from the Marxist Farabundo Martí National Liberation Front (FMLN) party, the government has increased the number of polling places four-fold to increase accessibility, especially in rural areas.
“We’re glad to see so many Members of Congress expressing respect for the right of the Salvadoran people to determine their own future. That’s an attitude that’s sorely lacking in much of the US’ policy in Central America, especially with regard to economic policy,” said Alexis Stoumbelis, Executive Director for the pro-communist Committee in Solidarity with the People of El Salvador (CISPES), in Washington, DC, which has observed every post-war election in El Salvador, starting in 1994.
Signatories included Rep. Adam Smith ..
JStreet 2014 endorsement
JStreet endorsed her again in 2016.
- Smith has been an outspoken opponent of settlement construction and a strong supporter of Israel and a two-state solution.
ARA endorsement, 2012
ARA PAF endorsement, 2014
New Democrat Coalition, 113th Congress
- Adam Smith
80th anniversary of Social Security
80th anniversary of Social Security celebration in Seattle on Saturday, Aug. 8 2015 at Westlake Plaza, Seattle.
- Sen. Bernie Sanders, US Senate
- Rep. Adam Smith, US House of Representatives
- Sen. Pramila Jayapal, Washington Legislature
- Hon. Kshama Sawant, [Seattle City Council] Member
- Lynne Dodson - Secretary Treasurer, Washington State Labor Council AFL-CIO
- Heather Villanueva - Senior Community Strength Organizer, SEIU 775, Board member, Ingersoll Gender Center
- Rebecca Saldana - Executive Director, Puget Sound Sage
- Gerald Hankerson - President of Alaska, Oregon, Washington State Area Conference NAACP
- Marcelas Owens - Youth leader, Washington CAN!
- Hugh Foy, MD. Physicians for a National Health Plan Western Washington, Professor of Surgery, UW School of Medicine, Director of the Surgical Specialties Clinic, Harborview
- Jackie Boschak - President of Washington Alliance for Retired Americans
Letter on US-Mexico security Co-operation
- Urgent alert from our friends at CISPES- Los Angeles Chapter : "The US plans to expand cooperation between Mexico and the United States to unfairly and inhumanely target Central American migrants and asylum seekers at the upcoming "Conference on Prosperity and Security in Central America".
- We asked Representative Alan Lowenthal of Long Beach to author a letter to Secretary Tillerson calling for to put the human rights of Central Americans and all migrants and refugees front and center, and he's circulating a letter now. To have the biggest impact possible we need as many Members of Congress as possible to sign this letter!
- Call or email your representative today and ask them to join Mr. Lowenthal as a co-signer.
Representative Alan Lowenthal (D-CA) led 37 Members of Congress, including top Democrats from the Armed Forces, Judiciary and Appropriations committees, in sending a letter to Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to raise red flags about “suggestions that the United States deepen security collaboration with Mexico along its southern border [with Guatemala] due to evidence that Mexico’s Southern Border Program has led to wide-spread human rights violations and abuses against migrants and asylum-seekers.”
Signers: Don Beyer (D-VA), Suzanne Bonamici (D-OR), Mike Capuano (D-MA), Tony Cardenas (D-CA), Judy Chu (D-CA), Emanuel Cleaver (D-MO), John Conyers (D-MI), Lloyd Doggett (D-TX), Keith Ellison (D-MN), Dwight Evans (D-PA), Ruben Gallego (D-AZ), Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), Luis Gutierrez (D-IL), Alcee Hastings (D-FL), Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-Washington, DC), Pramila Jayapal (D-WA), Hank Johnson (D-GA), Marcy Kaptur (D-OH), Barbara Lee (D-CA) , Zoe Lofgren (D-CA), Michelle Lujan Grisham (D-NM), Stephen Lynch (D-MA), Betty McCollum (D-MN), James McGovern (D-MA), Seth Moulton (D-MA), Mark Pocan (D-WI), Grace Napolitano (D-CA), Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA), Jose Serrano (D-NY), Jan Schakowsky (D-IL), Louise Slaughter (D-NY), Adam Smith (D-WA), Paul Tonko (D-NY), Maxine Waters (D-CA), John Yarmuth (D-KY).
“I look forward to seeing the crucial work that CAIR continues to do towards preserving the rights and well-being of all Muslim Americans and advocating for others who fall victim to social injustice in the United States.” - Rep. Adam Smith (D-Wash.) (2014). 
“In order for our democracy to function effectively, informed citizens must seek to engage civically, and CAIR’s efforts to ensure that American Muslims are able to fully participate in this process are truly remarkable.”
-Rep. Adam Smith (D-Wash.) (October 2017).
- Armed Services Committee
- Smith chairs the Subcommittee on Terrorism, Unconventional Threats and Capabilities
- Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.
- About Smith
- CLW website: Meet Our Candidates
- John Dingell's House website: Letter to Hillary Clinton, Dec. 22, 2009
- The Minnesota Independent: Ellison, McCollum and Oberstar urge Obama to lift Gaza blockade, Jan. 26, 2010 (accessed on March 14, 2011)
- Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus website, accessed May 1, 2013
- Polis website. Polis, Cartwright Introduce Legislation to Hold Fracking Industry Accountable,
- CISPES press release, Press Statement: 51 Members of Congress Call for US Neutrality in Salvadoran Elections December 16, 2013
- J Street The political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans
- JStreetPAC 2016 Endorsees
- NDC Member List
- Medicare, Social Security success Aug. 8 in Seattle By ROBBY STERN and CHUCK HAUNREITER (July 20, 2015)
- CISPES June 15, 2017 Trump Administration's Agenda at Conference in Miami Provokes Controversy and Opposition
- [https://www.cair.com/images/pdf/What-They-Say-About-CAIR.pdf What They Say About CAIR (October 2014)