Adam Schiff, born June 22, 1960. He received degrees from Stanford University and Harvard Law School. Adam and his wife, Eve, have two children, a daughter, Alexa Marion, born in July 1998, and a son, Elijah Harris, born in July 2002.
Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the United States Capitol
The following members of congress were on the Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the United States Capitol: Bennie Thompson (chair), Zoe Lofgren, Adam Schiff, Pete Aguilar, Stephanie Murphy, Jamie Raskin, Elaine Luria, Liz Cheney, and Adam Kinzinger.
Trump impeachment managers
February 15 2020 Nancy Pelosi selected seven House Democrats to serve as impeachment managers, essentially acting as prosecutors during Trump’s Senate trial: Adam Schiff, Jerrold Nadler, Jason Crow, Val Demings, Zoe Lofgren, Sylvia Garcia and Hakeem Jeffries.
Schiff serves on the powerful House Appropriations Committee, which is responsible for setting all funding priorities for the federal government. He currently sits on the Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies Subcommittee and the State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs Subcommittee.
Schiff also serves on the important House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, which oversees the nation’s intelligence agencies including components of the Departments of Defense, Homeland Security, Justice, State and Energy. As a senior Member of the House Intelligence Committee, he is the Ranking Member of the Subcommittee on Technical and Tactical (T & T) Intelligence. T & T oversees the technical aspects of intelligence gathering, including space-based assets, as well as cyber security. T & T also has primary oversight over the National Security Agency, the National Reconnaissance Office, the National Geospatial Agency and other military intelligence programs.
Freedom of the press
Schiff also co-founded the Congressional Caucus for Freedom of the Press in May 2006. The bipartisan, bicameral caucus is co-chaired by Representatives Schiff and Mike Pence (R-IN) and Richard Lugar (R-IN). It aims to advance press freedom around the world by creating a forum to combat and condemn media censorship and the persecution of journalists around the world. Schiff is the author of the Daniel Pearl Freedom of the Press Act, signed into law by President Obama on May 17, 2010..
Prior to serving in the House of Representatives, Schiff completed a four-year term as State Senator for California's 21st State Senate District, chairing the Senate Judiciary Committee, the Senate Select Committee on Juvenile Justice and the Joint Committee on the Arts. He led legislative efforts to guarantee up-to-date textbooks in the classroom, overhaul child support, and pass a patient's bill of rights. Before serving in the Legislature, Schiff served with the U.S. Attorney's Office in Los Angeles for six years, most notably prosecuting the first FBI agent ever to be indicted for espionage.
After graduating from Harvard Law School, Schiff took a job with the U.S. attorney’s office in Los Angeles and made a name for himself with the prosecution of Richard Miller, an FBI agent caught in a sex-for-secrets affair with a Soviet honey trap named Svetlana.
Support for the Council on American Islamic Relations
Congressman Adam Schiff April 28, 2016;
Visiting my friend, Raoul Cantero, in Panama, circa 1987. He was doing a Fullbright and would later serve on the Florida Supreme Court. He had friends in the opposition to Noriega and we almost got arrested by the "Doberman."
Schiff’s 2000 Congressional campaign against Republican incumbent Jim Rogan was openly aided by MoveOn.org.
On January 1, 2000, the Wall Street Journal reported on the radical group’s fundraising efforts for Schiff. The Congressional seat was particularly important since Rogan had gained fame after he was selected to be one of thirteen House Managers in the 1998 impeachment case of Bill Clinton. Rogan was supportive of Clinton’s impeachment and became a hero in the Republican Party.
The Journal reported:
If MoveOn were to achieve its ambitious goals, it just might have a big impact on this year’s struggle to control Congress, especially the House. Republicans hold only a slim five-vote majority there, and the outcome will “likely be determined in no more than three dozen congressional districts,” says Thomas Mann, director of governmental studies at the Brookings Institution.
Most congressional impeachment proponents were Republicans. One of the most prominent among them, House impeachment manager James Rogan of California, faces a challenge this year from Democratic State Senator Adam Schiff, for whom MoveOn to date has raised $106,000, Mr. Boyd says.
CNN reported on the MoveOn.org money for Schiff’s 2000 campaign: “By 2000, MoveOn.org was raising $2 million for Democratic candidates, including more than $100,000 to help California’s Adam Schiff beat Congressman James Rogan, one of the House managers during Clinton’s impeachment trial.”
The bio continues:
Nominated and endorsed by his peers in the Legislature, Schiff was selected from many outstanding applicants across the nation by a committee of state elected and appointed officials as one of the most promising new leaders of state government. In 1998, the California League of High Schools named Schiff Legislator of the Year.
Schiff later said that the Toll Fellowship “helped me identify my own leadership strengths, work more effectively with my colleagues and strengthen my relationship with the media.”
The Council of State Governments, which sponsors the Toll Fellowship, is heavily financed by George Soros. The Open Society provided the group with $320,000 in 2003; $1 million in 2004; and another $100,000 that year alone.
In 2009, Schiff introduced the Criminal Justice Reinvestment Act. The bill was described by the Justice Center at the Soros-funded Council of State Governments – which gave Schiff the Toll Fellowship award – as providing “grants to state and local governments to design and advance data-driven, consensus-based strategies to reduce corrections spending and increase public safety.”
A press release from the Council of State Governments said that Schiff’s bill “builds on the justice reinvestment work done by the Council of State Governments (CSG) Justice Center in Texas, Kansas, Vermont, Rhode Island and seven other states.”
The Justice Center’s justice reinvestment initiative was itself directly supported by Soros’s Open Society, the press release documents.
In 2014, the Open Society released a statement publicly supporting legislation by Schiff “requiring the president to provide an annual public report on the total number of persons killed or injured in drone strikes.” The Open Society further signed a joint statement with other leftwing groups, including organizations financed by Soros, supporting Schiff’s Targeted Lethal Force Transparency Act.
In early 2000, labor led a coalition of immigrants’ rights organizations in an amnesty campaign that filled the L.A. Sports Arena with sixteen thousand supporters inside and over four thousand more cheering outside. Miguel Contreras, along with Maria Elena Durazo and SEIU international vice president Eliseo Medina, set about to harness this power politically. They set up the Organization of Los Angeles Workers (OLAW) to develop a cadre of skilled union members who would be paid their regular salary to work with the union on political campaigns (these are known as lost-timers). In addition to HERE Local 11, SEIU Local 1877 (Justice for Janitors), and UNITE members, full-time walkers came initially from the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles (CHIRLA), Hermandad Mexicana Nacional, Clinica Romero (a Salvadoran immigrant solidarity organization), and a number of Mexican and Guatemalan hometown associations.
OLAW's first outing in 2000 focused sixty fulltime walkers on two Republican-occupied congressional districts. In a parallel effort the UFW took on a third congressional race in L.A. Operating outside traditionally acknowledged Latino communities, OLAW targeted fortythousand Latinos in these previously Republican districts for turnout, using candidate comparisons, a pledge card, and a “stand up and be counted” message to move these voters to the polls. Two of these three Republican seats became Democratic with the election of Adam Schiff and Jane Harman in the November election.
Congressman Adam Schiff November 29, 2012;
- It was wonderful to meet with members of SEIU and AFSCME yesterday to hear firsthand how important preserving Medicare and Social Security are to so many families in our community and around the country.
SEIU COPE meeting
SEIU ONE VOICE MEMBER ENGAGEMENT EVENT W/ CONGRESS MEMBER ADAM SCHIFF (CD 28) MONDAY, NOVEMBER 20, 2017 - 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM SEIU 121RN
As COPE contributors you know better than anyone that we have to fight to make sure that our laws and our lawmakers have our backs. Powerful, greedy, anti-worker forces are trying to rig the system against our families and our communities. COPE is how we fight. And when we fight, we win!
Incumbent candidates who are labor champions, will be joining us at a series of SEIU California, One Voice endorsement process, member engagement events. We enthusiastically invite you to attend this COPE-member-only event!
Monday, November 20, 3:00 PM Congress Member Adam Schiff (CD 28)
SEIU 121RN, 1040 Lincoln Ave Pasadena, CA 91103.
November-December 1992. Adam Schiff, age 32, a young prosecutor from California, visits Romania as an expert of the USAID – American Bar Association Central and East European Law Initiative (ABA-CEELI).
Between 1991 and 1994, ABA-CEELI was involved in legal efforts in Romania and other East European countries. Its earliest efforts took the form of technical legal assistance workshops in the areas of constitutional drafting and judicial restructuring. See more here.
Back then, Tiberiu Dianu was working as a senior researcher for the Romanian Academy Institute of Legal Research in Bucharest. In that capacity, he was offering legal expertise and support in translation/interpreting for various NGOs, including the Pro Democracy Association (ADP), International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES), and others.
- During one of those workshops I met Adam Schiff personally. I remember him as a pleasant conversational guy, an energetic and bright jurist.
- One evening, after the end of a workshop, he returned to his hotel, downtown Bucharest, accompanied by me and other two or three ADP fellow colleagues, including one of the NGO female Board members (I would call her, for now, C.S.). In front of the hotel, he asked her, in the presence of the group, to accompany him inside, “in order to continue the discussion.” The request was made politely, but in a soft voice. She politely refused. He insisted, continuing to smile politely. She declined again. After which he wished us a good night and entered the hotel, a bit disappointed.
- This episode left us with a bitter taste and a deep feeling of embarrassment. It was not the way a hard-working day was supposed to end. To lighten up the atmosphere a bit, I invited the group to my place for dinner, where we shared more positive impressions from the United States (all of us having the opportunity to travel there before).
Supported by Council for a Livable World
The Council for a Livable World, founded in 1962 by long-time socialist activist and alleged Soviet agent, Leo Szilard, is a non-profit advocacy organization that seeks to "reduce the danger of nuclear weapons and increase national security", primarily through supporting progressive, congressional candidates who support their policies. The Council supported Adam Schiff in his successful House of Representatives run as candidate for California.
J Sreet endorsement
Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus
Woolsey/Sheinbaum fund raiser
Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey, the first Member of Congress to call on the President to bring our troops home, was be in Los Angeles on Saturday February 4th 2006, for a 'very exciting but critical fundraiser against the most well-known, well-financed challenger she's ever faced". woolsey was facing a primary challenge from a termed-out Assemblyman Joe Nation, a moderate Democrat who has been critical of her stand on the war and on bringing home our troops. He is raising money from people who have given money to Tom DeLay and Bush-Cheney and his legislative district covers 60+% of Congresswoman Woolsey's district. Congresswoman Woolsey is a "champion of equal rights, civil liberties, protecting the environment and fighting for single payer healthcare. Congresswoman Woolsey must be re-elected by the same victory margin she has had in the past to send a message to progressives everywhere that's it IS OK to be courageous, and to not back down on issues that matter."
The Host Committee for this fundraiser includes:
Ben Affleck; Ed Asner; Warren Beatty; Jodie Evans; James Cromwell; Matt Damon; Tom Hayden; Wendy Herzog; Mimi Kennedy; Norman Lear; Stephen Rohde; Susie Shannon; Stanley Sheinbaum & Betty Sheinbaum; Lorraine Sheinberg; Kathy Spillar; Gloria A. Totten; Peg Yorkin; Senator Barbara Boxer; Congressman Joe Baca; Congressman Xavier Becerra; Congresswoman Lois Capps; Congresswoman Jane Harman; Congresswoman Juanita Millender-McDonald; Congresswoman Grace Napolitano; Congresswoman; Lucille Roybal-Allard; Congresswoman Linda Sanchez; Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez; Congressman Adam Schiff; Congresswoman Hilda Solis; Congresswoman Maxine Waters; Congresswoman Diane Watson; Senator Sheila Kuehl and Assemblywoman Karen Bass.
Barack Obama’s campaign in California formed a “truth squad,” announced via conference call, in January 2008, to counter the attacks that Hillary Clinton’s campaign has leveled in recent weeks. On the call were squad members Bay Area Congressman George Miller, LA Congresswoman Linda Sanchez, Oakland Congresswoman Barbara Lee, and LA County Labor Federation chief Maria Elena Durazo, now a national co-chair of the Obama campaign. Also on the squad are Silicon Valley Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren, LA Congressman Adam Schiff, state Senate Majority Leader Gloria Romero, Assembly Majority Leader Karen Bass, and, San Francisco District Attorney Kamala Harris.
Miller, one of the top congressional Democrats as head of the House Democratic Policy Committee and chairman of the Education & Labor Committee, noted that the truth squad was formed to deal with a threat that may or may not exist any longer. “We don’t know yet,” he said. “The Clinton campaign may have learned its lesson from South Carolina,” where voters mostly rejected the Clinton tactics, as exit polls make clear. Will former President Clinton, historically popular in California, be a problem for Obama in the nation’s largest primary? “I think there is a rethink underway about what he is doing.”
Parke Skelton support
Parke Skelton is one of California’s preeminent political campaign consultants. His firm, SG&A Campaigns, has run campaigns for scores of progressive Democratic candidates including Controller John Chiang, Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones, Secretary of State Debra Bowen, Congressmembers Karen Bass, Julia Brownley, Judy Chu, Alan Lowenthal, Adam Schiff, Brad Sherman and Hilda Solis, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and District Attorney Jackie Lacey.
Congressman Adam Schiff February 8, 2012;
- This morning I met with representatives from Freedom House, the National Democratic Institute and the International Republican Institute to discuss the situation in Egypt, where the government is charging 43 democracy workers with receiving illegal foreign funding and operating without licenses. Nineteen Americans are among those indicted and I told the representatives from the groups that I was following the events closely and intended to use my position on the subcommittee that oversees assistance to Egypt to do everything possible to bring about a successful resolution of this matter . It is an unnecessary distraction at a time when Egypt faces a long and difficult transition and could have far-reaching effects on the U.S. – Egyptian relationship.
Truman National Security Project
Congressman Adam Schiff August 29, 2012;
- I joined a panel discussion along with the Truman National Security Project on the importance of energy independence to our national security. With many of our most pressing national security and economic challenges associated with energy, securing access to affordable clean energy is absolutely essential in the 21st Century. I am committed to growing homegrown green energy and increasing research funding for alternative energy in order to make the United States the world’s leader in this cutting-edge industry.
June 11, 2013;
- Yesterday I joined my colleague Rep. Judy Chu at Caltech in Pasadena at a press conference to urge Congress to stop student loan rates from doubling July 1st. It was great to be joined by officials from Caltech, Pasadena City College, East Los Angeles College, as well as students and activists from the Young Invincibles. Congress needs to invest in education and in programs that provide affordable pathways to college so that all children have access to an affordable, quality education – not make the situation worse by allowing rates to double!
Adam Schiff was the Democratic vice-chair of a Congressional delegation that went to China and Tibet August 2005.
C.H. Tung meeting
Organized by Committee of 100, former Hong Kong Chief Executive C.H. Tung, now vice-chair of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference and chairman of a foundation promoting Sino-American relations, was in the U.S. spring 2008 for ten days, including three days in Washington, DC.
At his request, the Committee arranged a number of meetings for Tung with American opinion leaders. Among those he met were David Brooks, New York Times; Margaret Warner, PBS NewsHour; Congressman Eni Faleomavaega (D-AS), Chairman of the Asia and Pacific Subcommittee of the House Foreign Affairs Committee; and Congressman Adam Schiff (D-CA), a member of the Joint Intelligence Committee.
In addition, Committee of 100 organized a breakfast with Ambassador Stapleton Roy, chairman of the Committee of 100 Advisory Council. C-100 Chairman John L. Fugh and Cheng Li, who sits on the C-100 Issues Committee, attended several of the meetings.
The discussions addressed a number of issues related to China, but Tibet and the Olympics dominated the conversations. Tung gave a comprehensive presentation on Tibet and its major demographic changes, pre-and-post 1959. For example, he pointed out the large increase in population in Tibet, the educational opportunities that now exist, income growth, and economic support from the Chinese government.
According to Tovah LaDier, who is in charge of the Committee’s Washington Engagement Initiative and attended the meetings with Tung: “The major point that people raised with him is China’s "heavy-handed" reaction to the Dalai Lama. The message that was conveyed to him by virtually everyone with whom we met is that the Dalai Lama is considered a man of peace in the U.S., China’s harsh rhetoric about the Dalai Lama has had a negative impact in the U.S., and China needs to find a way to manage its highly important, complex, and difficult relationship with the Dalai Lama more effectively.”
Xu Kuangdi meeting
Former Mayor of Shanghai and current President of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, Xu Kuangdi, met with New York members of the Committee of 100, at the Harvard Club on October 6, 2009. Xu’s visit to the United States was sponsored by the China-United States Exchange Foundation of C.H. Tung, former Chief Executive of Hong Kong.
For this trip, he also spoke at the Council on Foreign Relations, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, and Yale University. He also met with Dr. Henry Kissinger and Congressman Adam Schiff.
"Learn from the Past, Create the Future"
- (Speaker) Adam Schiff represents the 29th Congressional District of California in the House of Representatives. His focus is on bolstering national security, strengthening communities, and introducing a "Kids First" agenda of initiatives to improve education, safety, and health care for kids. He serves on the House Appropriations Committee, House Judiciary Committee, and House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. Additionally, Schiff is the co-founder of the Congressional Caucus for Freedom of the Press and the Democratic Study Group on National Security. Prior to serving in the House, Schiff served with the U.S. Attorney's Office in Los Angeles.
U.S. China Relations: Perspectives from the U.S. Congress
Moderator: Ambassador James R. Sasser, Former U.S. Ambassador to the Peoples Republic of China and Former Senator of Tennessee | Speakers: The Honorable Mark Kirk, 10th District of Illinois Representative, U.S. Congress and co-Chair, U.S.-China Working Group & The Honorable Adam Schiff, 29th District of California Representative, U.S. Congress.
In 1982, Vincent Chin was brutally murdered in Detroit "at the height of anti-Japanese sentiment". The judge ruled it a case of manslaughter and the two killers, both autoworkers, never served a day in jail.
The case became a cause celebre for the Communist Workers Party.
A film about the case "Vincent Who?" was released in 2008, dealing with impact the case had had on activists at the time.
- More than twenty-five years later, that case remains a touchstone in the struggle for civil rights and the advancement of the Asian American community. In this new documentary, VINCENT WHO?, we take a quick look back at the case, but more importantly we examine the effects the case had on the leading community activists of today and the future leaders of tomorrow.
Interviewees and speakers included Helen Zia (leading activist during the Chin case), Stewart Kwoh (Founder & Executive Director, Asian Pacific American Legal Center), Judy Chu (Chair, California State Board of Equalization), Mike Eng (California State Assemblyman), Renee Tajima-Pena (Producer & Director, WHO KILLED VINCENT CHIN?), Frank Wu (Dean, Wayne State University Law School), Janet Yang (Producer, THE JOY LUCK CLUB), Justin Lin (Director, BETTER LUCK TOMORROW), Robin Toma (Executive Director, Los Angeles County Commission on Human Relations), Nhung Truong (District Representative, Office of Congressman Adam Schiff), Sejal Patel (Activist, Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy), Ben de Guzman (National Campaign Coordinator, National Alliance for Filipino Veterans Equity).
Chinese American Citizens Alliance
In 2016, members of the LA Lodge of the Chinese American Citizens Alliance organized group support for campaign events of the following November candidates: Rep. Adam Schiff, Rep. Ted Lieu, Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon, Assemblyman Ed Chau. 
C100 Annual Conference 2016
The list of "official supporters of the Committee of 100 National Conference in April 16 2016, in Beverly Hills included;
- Edmund G. Brown Jr., Governor of the State of California
- Eric Garcetti, Mayor of the City of Los Angeles
- Cui Tiankai, Ambassador of the People’s Republic of China to the United States
- Penny Pritzker, U.S. Secretary of Commerce
- Cory Gardner, United States Senator
- Mark Kirk, United States Senator
- Ed Royce, Member of Congress, Chairman, House Foreign Affairs Committee
- Charles Boustany, Member of Congress
- Adam Schiff, Member of Congress
- Xavier Becerra, Member of Congress
- Mike Honda, Member of Congress
- Ted Lieu, Member of Congress
- Judy Chu, Member of Congress
- Liu Jian, Council General of the People’s Republic of China in Los Angeles
- Anthony Rendon, speaker of the California State Assembly
- Ed Chau, member of California State Assembly
- Betty Yee, California State Controller
Soft on China?
Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) called for caution on pressuring China on the growing crisis on the Korean peninsula on Wednesday June 7 2017, saying the U.S. must not push the Chinese so hard that they resist negotiations.
"Something has to be offered to the Chinese to induce them. We can't confront them in a way that forces them to resist us," Schiff told CNN's Chris Cuomo on "New Day."
Schiff's comments came before President Trump was set to speak on the phone with Chinese President Xi Jinping, following North Korea's announcement that it had successfully tested a hydrogen bomb on Sunday. 
"Science and Technology" conference
Committee of 100's "Science and Technology Caught Between the United States and China: Challenges Facing American Researchers, Academia, Business, and the Chinese American Community" was held in Silicon Valley on September 28, 2019.
- Robert W. Gee, C100 Washington D.C. Region Chair; President, Gee Strategies Group.
- The Honorable David Stilwell, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for the Bureau of East Asian & Pacific Affairs (LIVE VIDEO CONFERENCE).
- The Honorable Adam Schiff, Congressman; Chair, House Intelligence Committee. (remote).
Supporting Karabakh Liberation Movement
In February 2013, Congressional Armenian Caucus Co-Chair Rep. Frank Pallone (D-NJ) and Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) congratulated the 25th anniversary of the Artsakh liberation movement and pledged ongoing support for the democratic and economic development of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic (NKR), reported the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA).
In a letter sent to NKR President Bako Sahakian, timed to coincide with the February 20th launch of the Artsakh liberation movement in 1988, Rep. Pallone noted that “Artsakh's path was challenged by various ordeals and your nation refused to allow these obstacles to break your will and determination. The tragedy of Sumgayit and the violence that occurred in other Azerbaijani cities 25 years ago proved the virtue of Nagorno Karabakh's choice to preserve its people's unique identity by establishing a sovereign democracy.
Rep. Schiff, who has been a perennial champion of increased U.S. assistance to Nagorno Karabakh, concurred noting, that “You have my support as you work to strengthen your democracy, and I will continue to stand with the people of Artsakh in their struggle towards international recognition. I join you today in looking forward to the day when Artsakh will achieve the recognition it deserves among the community of nations.”
In 2012, Rep. Schiff spearheaded efforts in the House Appropriations Committee to secure at least $5 million in U.S. assistance to Nagorno Karabakh in 2013. The Senate and House have yet to finalize the FY 2013 foreign aid budget, and are currently continuing foreign funding based on FY 2012 levels.
CODEL trip, Ukraine and Lithuania
April 2, 2014 ·
- Just returned from an informative trip to Ukraine, where tens of thousands of Russian troops are amassed outside its borders after invading and annexing Crimea. I also visited Lithuania, a nearby NATO ally that is also endangered by Russian aggression.
- Here are some photos of when I spoke to Lithuanian, Georgian, Ukrainian and Romanian Parliamentarians about expanding NATO's presence in the region, as well as some I snapped myself in Ukraine that show the aftermath of the violence in Kiev where Interior Ministry snipers killed as many as 200 innocent protestors in cold blood. Their Maidan – or independence square – looks like something out of Les Miserables.
Congressman Adam Schiff, July 6, 2014;
- Had the opportunity to meet with Georgian President Giorgi Margvelashvili and discuss the need to coordinate and focus USAID assistance to meet humanitarian needs in the predominately Armenian region of Samtskhe-Javakheti. I worked on this issue with former Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili and USAID Director Rajiv Shah and sought to continue the emphasis on assistance to this economically vulnerable area.
- President Margvelashvilli expressed his willingness to coordinate assistance to Javakheti, and added a new sense of urgency to the issue. With Georgia's signing of an association agreement with the European Union this week and Armenia's participation in the Russia-based customs union, it will be more important than ever, the President emphasized, to ensure that trade between Armenia and Georgia can continue unabated and grow. The Javakheti region is particularly reliant on this trade, making resolution of any trade issues between countries belonging to the separate trade associations – and assistance to the region – all the more timely and vital.
- Here I am pictured with Prime Minister Irakli Garibashvili, after meeting with him as well.
Democratic Party luminaries and 2020 presidential mentionables gathered May 2017 for an “ideas conference” organized by the Center for American Progress, the Democratic establishment’s premier think tank.
Its stated purpose was to focus not on “what could have been,” said CAP Vice President Winnie Stachelberg introducing the day, but on “new, fresh, bold, provocative ideas that can move us forward.”
Convened in a basement of Georgetown’s Four Season’s Hotel, the posh watering hole for Washington lobbyists, lawyers and visiting wealth, the conference quickly revealed how hard it is for Democrats to debate the future when Trump is taking all of the air out of the room.
Virtually every speaker dutifully invoked the theme of the day: resistance is not enough; Democrats must propose what they are for. Each then proceeded to rail at one Trump folly or another, calling on those assembled to join in defending what was achieved over the last eight years.
On the foreign policy panel, Senator Chris Murphy, who is seen a leader of progressive foreign policy thinking, criticized Trump’s “foreign policy by improvisation,” called for a special prosecutor, and delivered a strong defense of diplomacy and the State Department.
Bizarrely, with the U.S. headed into its 16th year of war in Afghanistan, the only mention of the debacle was Adam Schiff invoking disgraced former General David Petraeus on the importance of US aid in building a competent Afghanistan government. Apparently pouring over $100 billion in that feckless effort is not enough.
- House Appropriations Committee and was named to three subcommittees – the
- Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies Subcommittee
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs Subcommittee
- Financial Services and General Government Subcommittee.
- House Judiciary Committee -- He holds this seat by special concession. Generally, representatives may not hold other committee seats when they are on the Appropriation Committee.
Schiff used to serve on the House International Relations Committee and did so for six years.
In 2013 Progressive Democrats of America assigned activists to deliver their material to almost every US Congressman and Senator, Joseph Hancock, and Roberta Medford were assigned as the contact for Rep. Schiff.
Fred Ross award campaign
On January 27 2013, mainly Democratic Party wrote a letter to urge President Barack Obama to award posthumously the Presidential Medal of Freedom to the legendary organizer, Fred Ross, Sr.. The Saul Alinsky trained radical was the first to organize people through house meetings, a mentor to both Cesar Chavez and DSAer Dolores Huerta, and a pioneer in Latino voter outreach since 1949 when he helped elect Communist Party USA affiliate Ed Roybal as Los Angeles’s first Latino council member, "Ross’ influence on social change movements remains strong two decades after his death in 1992".
New Democrat Coalition, 113th Congress
Condemning Criticism of Islam legislation
On December 17, 2015, Rep. Don Beyer, Jr. introduced legislation condemning "violence, bigotry, and hateful rhetoric towards Muslims in the United States." The legislation is based on unsourced claims that there is a "rise of hateful and anti-Muslim speech, violence, and cultural ignorance," and a "disproportionate targeting" of "Muslim women who wear hijabs, headscarves, or other religious articles of clothing...because of their religious clothing, articles, or observances." The resolution, H.Res.569 - Condemning violence, bigotry, and hateful rhetoric towards Muslims in the United States 
The legislation was cosponsored by Rep. Michael Honda, Rep. Keith Ellison, Rep. Joseph Crowley, Rep. Andre Carson, Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Rep. Betty McCollum, Rep. Marcy Kaptur, Rep. Carolyn Maloney, Rep. Dan Kildee, Rep. Loretta Sanchez, Rep. Charles Rangel, Rep. Scott Peters, Rep. Brad Ashford, Rep. Alan Grayson, Rep. Mark Takai, Rep. Brian Higgins, Rep. William Keating, Rep. Raul Grijalva, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Rep. G.K. Butterfield, Rep. Gerry Connolly, Rep. Ruben Gallego, Rep. Cheri Bustos, Rep. John Delaney, Rep. Kathy Castor, Rep. Luis Gutierrez, Rep. Michael Quigley, Rep. Elizabeth Esty, Rep. Joseph Kennedy III, Rep. Robin Kelly, Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson, Rep. Gregory Meeks, Rep. Grace Meng, Rep. Al Green, Rep. Katherine Clark, Rep. Adam Schiff, Rep. Alcee Hastings, Rep. Sam Farr, Rep. Frank Pallone, Rep. Jim McDermott, Rep. Barbara Lee, Rep. Donna Edwards, Rep. Robert Brady, Rep. Frederica Wilson, Rep. Michael Doyle, Rep. Albio Sires, Rep. Suzan DelBene, Rep. Judy Chu, Rep. Jared Polis, Rep. David Loebsack, Rep. Bill Pascrell, Rep. Debbie Dingell, Rep. Jan Schakowsky, Rep. Steve Cohen, Rep. Ruben Hinojosa, Rep. John Yarmuth, Rep. Niki Tsongas, Rep. Jim Langevin, Rep. Mark Pocan, Rep. John Conyers, Jr., Rep. Mark Takano, Rep. Tim Ryan, Rep. Jose Serrano, Rep. Hank Johnson, Rep. Paul Tonko, Rep. Zoe Lofgren, Rep. Chris Van Hollen, Rep. Lois Capps, Rep. David Price, Rep. Doris Matsui, Rep. Gwen Moore, Rep. Denny Heck, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, Rep. John Carney, Rep. Xavier Becerra, Rep. Eric Swalwell, Rep. John B. Larson, Rep. Dina Titus, Rep. Peter Welch, Rep. Lloyd Doggett, Rep. Jim Himes, Rep. Matt Cartwright.
“Founded in 1994, CAIR is America’s largest Muslim civil advocacy organization…and the Council’s work in Los Angeles, the state of California, and across the nation is much appreciated.”- Rep. Adam B. Schiff (D-Ca.) (September 2013). 
CAIR’s vision and mission is more important now than ever before-to be a leading advocate for justice and mutual understanding, and enhance understanding of Islam.”
Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) (October 2017).
National Iranian American Council August 3, 2015
NIAC volunteers met with Congressman Adam Schiff recently, and now the Congressman has voiced his support for the #IranDeal! This is big news! Read about it in The Atlantic article "An Iran-Deal Skeptic Becomes a Supporter": http://theatln.tc/1VWwus3
Adam Schiff at All Saints: Countering White Supremacy
Published on Aug 7, 2019.
Powerful interfaith community forum featuring Congressman Adam Schiff, moderated by Salam Al-Marayati, with Andre Henry, Omar Ricci, Brooke Wirtschafter, Mike Kinman and Susan Russell at All Saints Church, Pasadena, on Monday, August 5, 2019. We can be the change we want to see: share it with family and friends!
Rep. Jimmy Panetta March 30 2018:
Our delegation held a roundtable with Palestinian youth in Jerusalem.
March 30, 2018 Congressman Jimmy Panetta (CA-20) returned today from a Congressional delegation visit to Afghanistan, Jordan, and Israel. The focus of the trip was on global and regional security and cooperation issues.
In Afghanistan, Congressman Panetta and the delegation traveled to Forward Operating Base (FOB) Lighting which is the temporary home to the Southeast Advisory Security Task Force under the command of Brigadier General David M. Hamilton. The visit to the FOB in the Paktia Provence allowed Congressman Panetta to talk to and thank the service members on the front line who are training and advising Afghan security forces. The delegation then traveled to Kabul and met with General John W. Nicholson, Jr., Commander, Resolute Support Mission and U.S. Forces Afghanistan, who briefed them on the current military strategy and security situation in Afghanistan. The delegation also met with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah at the Presidential Palace.
In Jordan, the delegation met with His Royal Highness King Abdullah II Ibn Al Hussein, as well as other senior defense and foreign affairs leadership who shared their insight into the challenges facing Jordan and the region.
In Israel, the delegation discussed U.S.-Israel relations, the prospects for an Israeli-Palestinian peace process, and regional security issues with Israeli President Reuven Rivlin and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem. The delegation also met with Opposition Leader Isaac Herzog in Tel Aviv. Congressman Panetta and the delegation reiterated American support for a two-state solution and for peace in the region.
In addition to Congressman Panetta, the Members of the delegation included:
- Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi (CA)
- Rep. Rosa DeLauro (CT)
- Rep. Jan Schakowsky (IL)
- Rep. Adam Schiff (CA)
- Rep. Henry Cuellar (TX)
- Rep. Jim Himes (CT)
- Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (NY)
- Rep. Katherine Clark (MA)
- Rep. Donald McEachin (VA)
- Rep. Jamie Raskin (MD)
Democratic congressman Adam Schiff, the soon-to-be chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, gave an exclusive closed-door briefing to members of the Democracy Alliance donors club Friday morning November 16 2018.
Schiff will brief partners of the secretive dark money group as part of its annual fall meeting, which this year is taking place just blocks from the White House in downtown Washington, D.C. The briefing, like the rest of the events at the secretive three day conference, is closed to the press, and open to only Democracy Alliance partners, who are each obligated to give at least $200,000 a year to approved liberal groups.
Schiff has gained prominence in the last two years as the top Democratic voice in Congress on the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election. He immediately became a mainstay on television, racking up more than a hundred interviews in just a few months.
His profile will now continue to grow with Democrats taking over the majority, thrusting him to the chairmanship of the Intelligence Committee. The New Yorker on Thursday wrote that Schiff will now become special counsel Robert Mueller's "new wingman on Capitol Hill."
Schiff's office did not respond to inquiries into what he will share with the Democracy Alliance during the closed door session and whether anything regarding the Russia investigation was out of bounds.
All "programming at the conference is off the record," according to the agenda. Attendees are told to "respect the privacy of others in attendance and not share individuals' names or details of the conference."
HR 109 endorser
Medicare for All Act
In February 2019 Rep. Pramila Jayapal introduced H.R.1384 - Medicare for All Act of 2019. By May 29 she had 110 co-sponsors including Rep. Adam Schiff.
DSA support for Yemen Bill
IE DSA - Inland Empire Democratic Socialists of America July 8 2019.
URGENT: Tomorrow, Tuesday 7/9, the House Rules Committee will consider whether to allow a floor vote on Rep. Ro Khanna's legislation to end US participation in the Saudi-led war in Yemen (Amendment 339 to the National Defense Authorization Act.) The DSA International Committee urges members to call their reps in support.
The Congressional switchboard is 202-225-3121. You can say something like:
“I urge you to co-sponsor, speak out for and vote for the Khanna-Schiff amendment to end all U.S. participation in the Saudi-UAE war in Yemen. Yemeni kids' lives are hanging on your vote.”
Key Congress members — If your Rep is on this list, please contact them immediately and urge them to cosponsor Amendment 339:
Pelosi, Hoyer, Engel, Smith, Lieu, Nadler, Lowey, Jim Himes, Ted Deutch, Brad Sherman, Meeks, Bass, Connolly, Susan Davis, Jim McGovern, Langevin, Moulton, Gallego, Houlahan, Cicilline, Slotkin, Mikie Sherrill, Luria, Spanberger, Wild, Malinowski.
- Chief of Staff - Jeff Lowenstein
- Scheduler - Christopher Hoven
- Legislative Director - Joe Jankiewicz
- Press Secretary - Patrick Boland
- About Schiff
- Official congressional bio, accessed August 1, 2011
- Official congressional bio, accessed August 1, 2011
- Official congressional bio, accessed August 1, 2011
- Letters of Support for CAIR accessed January 26 2020
- Power in Los Angeles 7-8
- [The Los Angeles Times (Los Angeles, California)12 Feb 2001, MonPage 242]
- CLW website: Meet Our Candidates
- J Street 2008 Annual Report
- Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus website, accessed May 1, 2013
- http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc.html?gpp=6486&pst=347342 LA Event Featuring Warren Beatty, Matt Daman for Lynn Woolsey 2/4/06 January 31, 2006 3:45 PM
- Bill Bradley's New West Notes, January 27th, 2008
- Liberty Hill Blog news, March 11, 2013 April 23 Liberty Hill Awards Alex Gansa & Howard Gordon, Alison Morgan & Parke Skelton, and Charles F. Johnson
- Arranges Meetings with Journalists, Diplomats, and Officials for Hong Kong’s C.H. Tung Posted on May 8, 2008 by admin — No Comments ↓ May 2008 | By Tovah LaDier and Jane Leung Larson
- Shanghai Mayor Xu Kuangdi Hosted by New York Committee Members October 2009 | By Jane Leung Larson
- [http://vincentwho.wordpress.com/author/keithpr/page/2/, http://vincentwho.wordpress.com/2008/04/01/vincent-who/Vincent Who? Archive blog Vincent Who? Posted on April 1, 2008]
- The Hill, Schiff: Don't pressure China on North Korea "in a way that forces them to resist us"BY JULIA MANCHESTER - 09/06/17
- Armenian National Committee of America, PRESS RELEASEFor Immediate Release ~ 2013-02-25
- [https://www.commondreams.org/views/2017/05/18/democrats-resistance-trumps-ideas Common Dreams, ublished on Thursday, May 18, 2017 by People's Action Blog For Democrats, Resistance Trumps IdeasbyRobert Borosage]
- PDA May 2013 Educate Congress Digest Letter drops (191 in total – 105 in April )
- NDC Member List
- H.Res.569 - Condemning violence, bigotry, and hateful rhetoric towards Muslims in the United States, accessed December 26, 2015
- [https://www.cair.com/images/pdf/What-They-Say-About-CAIR.pdf What They Say About CAIR (October 2014)
- Iranian American Political Action Committee,IAPAC Candidates, accessed January 29, 2017
- [https://freebeacon.com/politics/top-dem-donors-to-receive-closed-door-briefing-from-adam-schiff/Washington Free beacon, Top Dem Donors to Receive Closed-Door Briefing from Adam Schiff Democracy Alliance donors hold secret meeting with top Intelligence Committee Democrat Brent Scher and Joe Schoffstall November 16, 2018]